Login Register

Swans hit fourth spot after Dynamo victory

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: February 05, 2013

Stapenhill FC vs Rothley Imperial at Stapenhill Football Ground Jacques Briscoe

Comments (0)


GOALS from Sam Taylor and Matt Weightman in the last half-hour piled on the misery for Saffron Dynamo at Cambridge Road.

Dynamo keeper Ben Davies saved the hosts from a hiding with an outstanding display between the sticks to keep out the rampant Swans in the Leicestershire Senior League Premier Division clash.

Mick Wood’s men now sit fourth in the table as they chase the runners-up spot and promotion to the East Midlands Counties League.

Stapenhill flew out of the blocks and battered the hosts for fully 20 minutes without success.

In the first minute, Taylor released Lewis Campbell down the left and he flew past Richard Miller and got to the by-line before pulling the ball back to Jacques Briscoe, whose fierce shot deflected over off defender Tom Marsh.

Then Paul Furniss hit a deep cross to the far post to Asa Sippits, who saw his shot blocked by Ben Tye.

The visitors should have opened the scoring on six minutes when a through ball from Furniss was dummied by Taylor to leave Campbell with a one-on-one with Davies, but although his lob beat the keeper it deflected wide.

Keeping up the pressure, Furniss fed Weightman but the striker’s cross-shot went wide.

The tackles started the fly in on the treacherous surface and Dynamo suffered a major blow in the 10th minute when they lost Lee Carrigan after a clash in midfield with Briscoe.

Keeping up the pressure, Sippits swung in a terrific cross which just eluded Briscoe as he slid in at the far post.

Slowly, the hosts got over the halfway line, forcing several corners which were well-defended by Ben Gough and Callum Keenan.

But the nearest Dynamo got to a goal was a sliced clearance from Lucas Harrison which dropped just over his own bar.

The action soon switched back to the other end, with Ben Kelly-Walley hitting Sippits down the right.

The winger crossed to Weightman, who saw his close-range effort beaten out by Davies, with Taylor’s follow-up blocked by Tye.

However, on 34 minutes, a long clearance from Russell Hawksley was chased down by Phil Dobson, who got goal side of Simon Walker.

When the Swans defender clipped his heels, a red card could well have been the outcome, but referee James Johnson settled for a yellow.

Then a slip from Keenan let in Dan Barker but his shot was never going to trouble Gough.

The winger then robbed Kelly-Walley, but his low cross hit the base of a post.

The half ended with an inviting cross from Weightman driven wide by Campbell.

On the restart, Miller and Dobson combined to release Hawksley down the right and when the midfielder’s cross came in it ricocheted off Briscoe straight into the arms of Gough.

On 50 minutes, Campbell was brought down in the box by Tye but Davies pulled off a fine save to deny Weightman from the spot.

At the other end, a header from Kelly-Walley back to Gough lacked power and Dobson saw a chance. Gough, however, read the danger and raced out of goal to boot the ball clear.

A minute later, Dynamo gave themselves a mountain to climb after losing Marsh, their best defender, when he received a straight red card after smashing into Briscoe.

From this moment on, there was only going to be one winner and so it proved as the Swans stepped up a gear.

Sippits could hardly believe it when Davies acrobatically tipped over his vicious shot and then Weightman headed inches over from a Campbell cross.

Next, a slick move involving Harrison and Taylor saw the young striker release Campbell with a well-disguised reverse pass, but once again Davies denied the winger with a tremendous save to the turn the ball wide.

On 64 minutes, the relentless pressure told.

A deep corner swung in by Kelly-Walley was headed back into the danger zone by Keenan and Taylor pounced to fire past Davies.

With new signing Gareth Langford becoming increasingly influential, the Swans slowly turned the screw.

Taylor saw his goalbound shot deflected over and Langford was denied by the overworked Davies.

Dynamo threw everybody forward in a desperate search for the equaliser and a couple of long throws provided a few nervous moments for the visitors but in the very last minute the Swans got a second goal.

A pinpoint cross from Josh Harris was met by Weightman and although Davies beat out his header, the striker smashed the rebound home.

In injury time both Harris and Taylor were inches away with decent strikes.

GOALS: Taylor 64, Weightman 90 (Swans).

DYNAMO: Davies, Miller, Pritchard, Tye, Marsh, Grady, Hawksley, Raddie, Carrigan (Howell 10), Dobson, Barber. Subs not used: Gray, Stanley, Marshall, Cooper.

SWANS: Gough, Kelly-Walley, Harrison (Harris 83), Walker, Keenan, Furniss, Sippits, Briscoe (Langford 55), Taylor, Weightman, Campbell (Butler 75). Sub not used: Gilligan.

RED CARD: Marsh (Dynamo) – serious foul play.

SWANS STAR MAN: Sam Taylor – constant movement was a big threat.

REFEREE: J Johnson (Mountsorrel).


Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters