SWEETS seized from a Burton store posed a risk to human health, magistrates have ruled.
The confectionary, taken from an unnamed store in the town, were found to contain allergens which did not appear on their labels.
Magistrates in Stafford said the sweets were ‘unsafe’ and needed to be destroyed.
The items were picked up by officers following a raid on four stores, all owned by the same person, across Staffordshire last month, one of which was in Burton.
The owner had been warned about the dangers of inaccurate labelling prior to the raid, but chose to ignore the advice, trading standards said.
As yet, no other details of the shops have been released.
Each year, 10 people in the UK die as a result of food allergies and Staffordshire County Council’s environment and rural affairs chief Gill Heath said it was a serious case.
She said: “Allergy and intolerance to foods can result in significant health issues and in some cases, can be a life-threatening condition.
“This is why it is absolutely critical that food labels are accurate and declare any allergens that the food contains.”