A CHICKEN and pizza takeaway in Burton was creating a risk to customers by failing to meet hygiene standards, according to a report.
Chookys, in Horninglow Road, was inspected last month by East Staffordshire Borough Council, when it was given a rating of just one out of a possible five.
Managers were told major improvements must be made to meet the standards required.
During their visit, experts found there was a risk of cross-contamination caused by staff alternating between handling raw and cooked food.
Further risk of cross-contamination came from raw and cooked food being stored in the same fridge, creating a risk of food poisoning.
A major concern was that there was no information on receipts for chicken purchased, which should have detailed the name and location of the supplier.
The report said: “This gives cause for concern, as any reputable company would provide a legitimate receipt that permits traceability back to them.
“In addition, poultry wholesalers must be suitably approved to operate by the relevant authorities. Premises operating without approval will be subject to prohibition procedures.”
The council has sent the information to the Food Standards Agency.
The report also stated that insufficient attention was being given to handwashing, and access to handwash basins was restricted.
One in the toilet could not be used because it became blocked when the tap was turned on.
There was also a lack of a suitable disinfectant or sanitiser in the shop, and no evidence was available that relevant staff had undertaken any food hygiene training.
The handle of a walk-in chiller was also found to be sticky to the touch, the report stated.
The Mail contacted Chookys, but the manager was not available for comment at the time of going to press.