Login Register

Thief in A38 125mph chase

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: May 11, 2013

Comments (0)

A CAR thief has been jailed after being snared by police following a car chase along the A38 which reached speeds of 125mph.

Officers from three force forces were part of the pursuit which saw Mohammed Rahouff (pictured), of Branston Road, hurtle along the accident plagued carriageway in an effort to evade being caught by several police cars and a helicopter after he stole the vehicle from a house in Milton, near Repton.

He was jailed for 22 months at Derby Crown Court after being convicted of dangerous driving, handling stolen goods and driving while disqualified.

Senior police officers have been quick to heap praise on cops from Staffordshire, Derbyshire and Warwickshire Police forces for playing a part in helping send the thief to jail.

Detective Inspector Darren De’ath, of Derbyshire Police, said: “Rahouff was deliberately trying to evade police that day but thanks to good communication and co-operation between several forces, he was arrested.”

The 33-year-old was given 12 months for dangerous driving, six months for handling stolen goods and four months for driving while disqualified. No separate penalty was given for possessing cocaine.

Rahouff, who admitted all the charges, was also disqualified from driving for three years when he was sentenced at Derby Crown Court.

At around 1am on Thursday, March 28, Derbyshire officers saw Rahouff driving a Mercedes around Normanton, which had been stolen from a house in Milton a week earlier.

They followed the 33-year-old but lost sight of the car and informed neighbouring forces that they were on the lookout for the car and its driver.

An unmarked police car, driven by officers from Warwickshire Police, saw the car a few hours later on the M6 and pursued it into East Staffordshire, where they were joined by colleagues from Burton, as they raced along the A38.

Rahouff forced a car to mount a kerb on a the busy carriageway to avoid a collision during the chase.

The chase came to an end when the car eventually collided with railings in Birmingham Road, Lichfield at around 3.45am and Rahouff was arrested.

The court heard how Rahouff had been disqualified from driving for 14 months in December 2008 for driving under the influence of excess alcohol.

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters