ONE of East Staffordshire’s biggest live music events WILL return this year, it has been confirmed, after organisers reached an agreement with police chiefs who had threatened to pull the plug over drink-fuelled disorder the last time it was held.
Staffordshire Police said last month that it was not prepared to let Glastutbury go ahead this summer unless bosses agreed to improve the way it is run to ensure the safety of spectators.
The force suggested the event had been a victim of its own success since first being at the Richard Wakefield Primary School, in Tutbury, in 2009, with bosses unable to cope with the increasing amount of people attending.
Police claimed boozy teenagers brought their own alcohol last year and that people urinated ‘wherever they chose’ due to a lack of toilet facilities.
But the cream of the local live music scene will once again descend on the village on July 5 after police chiefs were satisfied following make-or-break talks with Glastutbury bosses.
Dave Evans, of Staffordshire Police’s licensing team, said: “There were some issues from last year that needed looking at - the event has grown and grown.
“It is a very successful event but the way it was being run was not at the standard we expect.
“We told them what we wanted. We weren’t looking to stop the event, we wanted to make sure it could be run safely and in accordance with the law.”
Bill Crossley, who is a member of Tutbury Parish Council, said losing the event would have been a massive blow for the village.
He said: “It has become a landmark event in the Tutbury year. It’s good for the school, I know it raises a lot of money.
“Now there is some control over what happened last year there is no reason people shouldn’t go and enjoy themselves.”