Login Register

Fire chief’s plea for care with clothing drying

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: February 19, 2013

Comments (1)

FIREFIGHTERS in East Staffordshire have attended a third incident involving clothing catching fire.

Crews from Tutbury and Burton were called to Ludgate Street, in Tutbury, at 5.45pm on Valentine’s Day after the occupant found a pair of trousers on fire in the house.

This followed similar incidents in Tamworth and Abbots Bromley in recent weeks.

Station manager Jim Bywater said: “The fire was out on our arrival, however, it started after clothing had been left drying too close to a light fitting.

“There were various items of clothing which had been left drying around the house, but the trousers had been draped over a door and were partly on top of a lamp.

“The trousers caught fire due to the heat from the light bulb and a hole was burnt into the trousers.

“Although this incident didn’t involve a heating appliance being used to dry clothing, it is a similar situation in that it again involves clothing being dried inside the home.

“It isn’t something people would necessarily think to check – ‘are my trousers touching a light bulb?’; however, it is something that can start a fire and it was lucky the lady spotted the fire.

“We’d like to remind people again to please be careful when they are drying clothing in the home, whether they’re using a tumble dryer or leaving clothing to dry naturally.

“Just take a few moments to assess the surroundings before leaving the clothing – it’s better to be safe than sorry.”

Cops reveal man bailed after drugs warrant

POLICE have arrested a man on suspicion of possession with intent to supply cannabis.

Derbyshire Police arrested the 36-year-old after issuing a warrant at a house in Woodville Road, Overseal, on Thursday, February 14, and found a quantity of suspected cannabis.

Officers questioned him and released him on bail pending further inquiries.

Anyone with information about drug use in the community should call police on 101 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555111.

Woman airlifted to hospital after horse kick

A WOMAN who suffered a suspected fractured leg after a horse kicked her had to be airlifted from a field near Etwall.

The 22-year-old was taken to hospital by the Derbyshire, Leicestershire and Rutland Air Ambulance on Sunday.

She was flown to the Royal Derby Hospital for treatment.

Brewer makes plans for listed chimney revamp

A BURTON brewer is to repair a listed chimney.

Marston’s, in Shobnall Road, is to start work on the coal fire chimney in the coming weeks.

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters
  • ciderdrinker  |  February 19 2013, 1:27PM

    Wow three stories in one, I guess someone went a bit mad with the cut and paste.

    Rate 0
    Report

      YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

       
       

      MORE NEWS HEADLINES