Login Register

Three crashes in 50 minutes on A38

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: May 07, 2014

A38 Traffic queuing

Comments (0)

TEN cars were involved in three separate crashes in less than an hour on the A38 yesterday – causing rush-hour traffic chaos.

Motorists faced long tailbacks following a trio of early-morning smashes on the southbound carriageway of the accident-plagued road, between Fradley and Alrewas.

Two people had to be taken to hospital for treatment, one having to be cut free from his car, and the problems continued for more than three hours as a result of the incidents.

A spokesman for Staffordshire Police told the Mail: “The first incident took place at 7.10am at the Fradley Park junction and involved five cars.

“These were a black BMW, a black Seat Leon, a blue Seat Ibiza, a white Volvo and a black Audi A4.

“The male driver of the Seat Leon suffered head and facial injuries and had to be cut out of his car by firefighters before being taken to hospital.

“Then, at 7.30am, three vehicles were involved in the second crash at the Hilliard’s Cross section of the A38.

“This involved a green Ford Transit, a white Ford Escort van and a red van.

“The male driver of the white Ford Escort suffered head injuries and had to be taken to hospital for treatment.

“The third crash took place at 8am at the Fradley slip road and involved two cars – a grey BMW X3 and a white Ford Mondeo.

“The male driver of the Mondeo suffered minor injuries and did not have to be treated in hospital.

“The road was completely cleared by 10.40am and all vehicles were recovered from the scene.”

West Midlands Ambulance Service confirmed it had attended all three incidents and, although two officers were transported to hospital, neither had suffered life-threatening injuries.

Richard Bull, who travels to work in Burton from Wolverhampton, spoke to the Mail about his nightmare journey.

He said: ““I was stuck on the northbound carriageway for about half an hour. I had my engine switched off for about 20 minutes of that time.

“When the traffic eventually started moving again I realised the crash was on the southbound side. I saw a pile up of four cars. The roof had been cut off one of them. Another car was on the opposite side of the road.

“Traffic backed up at a standstill at least up to Branston, and that was before the cars had even been removed from the road. People were out of their cars standing on the carriageway.”

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters