Login Register

Top judges reject torture dads bid to reduce sentence that he deemed as being ‘too tough’

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: April 24, 2013

Comments (4)

A TWISTED father who beat his own son to pulp while hanging him from a forklift truck and welding him into a cage has failed to convince top judges his sentence was too tough.

Kevin Clifford, 52, lured his son, Gary, to his workshop in Ashby Road, Moira, where he was hung upside-down from the prongs of a forklift truck and beaten savagely with a baseball bat, hosepipe and hammer.

Justice Turner, sitting with Lord Justice Pitchford and Justice Roderick Evans, said Clifford had seen red, believing that his son had stolen gold jewellery from his stepmother to pay off drugs debts.

Clifford, an engineer, of Ashby Road, Moira, was jailed for 16 years at Leicester Crown Court after he was convicted of false imprisonment and causing grievous bodily harm with intent in June last year.

Clifford’s case reached the Appeal Court as he challenged his sentence after claiming that it was excessive.

His legal team claimed he had previously tried to help his son get off heroin but had become increasingly disturbed by him bringing drugs into the house.

But Justice Turner noted the ‘gratuitous’ and barbaric violence involved and told the court: “The fact that he was involved in an attack on his own son is a serious and aggravating factor.”

Dismissing the sentence challenge, the judge concluded: “There can be no cogent complaint that 16 years was excessive.”

London’s Appeal Court heard how Clifford also contacted his 29-year-old son’s implacable enemy, John Cope, 47, of Market Street, Church Gresley, and ‘invited’ him to join in the carnage.

Also involved in the attack was Gary’s uncle, Patrick Clifford, of Cherry Tree Court, Moira, who helped Clifford tie up Gary before the onslaught began.

Gary Clifford was beaten with a baseball bat by Cope - and with a hammer by his own father - said Mr Justice Turner.

He also told the court that Mr Clifford could ‘hear his bones breaking’ as the violence intensified.

At times, his attackers ‘took breaks’ from the assault to drink beer and laugh at him, the court heard, before resuming the violence by welding Gary inside a metal cage.

He was finally driven to the Travellers Rest, in New Street, Church Gresley, where his shattered body was dumped in a cement bag and abandoned.

One medic who examined Gary said he was lucky to be alive, while another said his injuries were the worst he had ever seen.

They comprised devastating multiple fractures - including a shattered cheekbone and two broken kneecaps.

Patrick Clifford was handed a 12-year term after admitting false imprisonment and inflicting grievous bodily harm, while Cope got 16 years for the same offences.

The original incident took place in April 2011.

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters


  • Maria123  |  April 29 2013, 9:00AM

    ROB SMYTH, you haven't got a clue."At times, his attackers ‘took breaks’ from the assault to drink beer and laugh at him" Seeing that Kevin Clifford is Teatotal and has been for more than 15 years this is all becoming such a joke. If you don't know the truth you make it up!!! Shame on you! You really should do more research before you print this rubbish!

    |   -1
  • Maria123  |  April 29 2013, 8:45AM

    I know the family involved and a massive injustice has been done. The 'victim' says the experience has turned his life around, he is still a thieving heroin addict. A lovely family took him in when he came out of hospital and he robbed them blind. He is in court all the time. He lied all the way thru his statements to the Police. According to him his Dad and 4 other men kidnapped him from the side of the road, they put a bag over his head and threw him in the back of a transit van, (they didn't tie his hands or legs)The five men then got into the front?? of the transit van! He says he knew he was alone in the back, He wasn't tied up but he didn't bother taking the bag off his head??? It was proved in court that he wasn't kidnapped at all, his Dad picked him up that morning, the Police have a statement from his house mate to say he went with his Dad of his own freewill. He named Martin Workman as one of the men that attacked him yet Martin gave a cast iron alibi and the charges against him were dropped after being incarcerated at Gary's sayso for several weeks. There was no pools of blood at the supposed scene of the crime and it was obvious from the crime photos that no attempt had been made to clean any up! The jury all week were told that the case had to be concluded by the Friday as the long jubilee bank holiday loomed and the Prosecution was 'going on holiday!' they didn't finish listening to the evidence until the Friday lunchtime and were only 'out' for less than an hour. There was a total miscarriage of justice, anyone who knows Kevin Clifford knows he's totally incapable of doing such a dreadful thing. His other son has autism and he is the best Dad in the world to him. Gary Clifford on the other hand cannot even lie straight in bed. When asked what he wanted to do when he grew up, at the age of fifteen told people he wanted to be BAD! He has succeeded. His own mother disowned him over 10 years ago, he has even robbed his own grandmother! The retrial needs to be called as soon as possible.

    |   -2
  • onya222  |  April 24 2013, 10:11PM

    I would give them all the death sentence the evil monsters. Its shocking to think they will be allowed back in the community after what they did.

    |   1
  • Katharinee2  |  April 24 2013, 5:10PM

    The sentence should be doubled not reduced. No parent with an ounce of sense would do this to their child.

    |   1