Food left cooking caused a fire at house in Repton on Wednesday, August 9. Crews were called out to the property after the homeowner's dinner caught fire in the oven, said a spokesman
Firefighters from Swadlincote and Kingsway, in Derby ,were called out to the house on Clayfields Road at 1.25pm to reports of an oven fire.
The fire was quickly put out by officers, and no-one at the house was injured, he said. Fire bosses have issued a warning to people not to leave food unattended on hobs or in ovens.
Officers have warned people not to cook if they feel tired or have been drinking alcohol, and that food should never be left unattended. It is also good practice to always double check that the oven has been turned off properly after using it, said a spokesman.
Smoke alarms should also be fitted in every home and on every level, and these should be checked weekly, he said. In an event of a fire the service says: "Get out, stay out and call 999".