Firefighters have been at a Woodville street for more than 12 hours tackling a gas leak from a car. The road has been cordoned off since 2am this morning.

Fire crews were called to Station Road, Woodville, just after 11pm last night on Monday, July 24, to reports of gas leaking from a white Vauxhall Zafira. Today, Tuesday, July 25, residents have been warned to stay in their homes, and have seen their driveways cordoned off during the drama.

The officer in charge at the scene, Station Manager Lee Smith said firefighters were working to contain the leak of LPG from the car and to ensure people living nearby were safe.

LPG is very flammable and a spark could cause it to explode. Fire crews were waiting for an expert to arrive so they can make the car safe as quickly as possible.

Woman who is 'terrified' of Tollgate Island calls for traffic lights at all junctions

Nearby residents woke up this morning to find their driveways cordoned off and were warned to stay in their homes by firefighters at the scene. They were told that they would not be able to drive their cars past the cordon, in case any sparks could cause an explosion. However, residents did say that firefighters had offered to push people’s cars out of the cordoned area so they could get to work.

The LPG car is leaking fuel

Resident Emily Wallis, 24, said: “We came downstairs this morning and saw there was tape across our drive. Then I saw my neighbour talking to someone from the fire service. We didn’t know what was going on until we went down to speak to him.

“He told us that a woman further down the street filled her car up, drove back and could smell gas so she had to call the fire service straight away.

Residents urged to stay in their homes following gas leak in Woodville

“The fire engine struggled to get down the road because of all the parked cars. It’s lucky that it wasn’t someone in a burning building if they were struggling.

“It’s quite scary to think that emergency vehicles might not be able to get through – especially with us being at the bottom.”

The scene in Station Road in Woodville

A 10-metre cordon is in place surrounding the car at the end of Station Road, which is a cul de sac. Locals told to stay indoors were warned to keep their windows closed and to avoid using naked flames, said a fire service spokesman.

Neighbour, Chris Weston, 36, said: “All I know is I came across this morning to see firefighters at the end of the street, and cordon tape over everybody’s driveways.

“Me and my wife went out on our bikes yesterday evening, and when we got back, we noticed a massive smell of gas on the corner of the cul de sac. It absolutely stinks!”

Here's what you had to say on the gas leak

Residents who have been affected by the leak have taken to social media and have been having their say:

Darren Hextall lives on the street and said: “It took the fire engine about 30 to 40 minutes to get down the road because of parked cars.

“The firemen have been doing a great job keeping all of us safe at the bottom of Station Road.”

Leonie Ashenden said: “It’s not nice knowing this is going on on your doorstep, particularly when people are hiding cigarettes when walking past – putting the lives of the fire crew and others in danger.”