An elderly woman had to be rescued by a neighbour after a fire broke out in the kitchen of her Ashby home.

Fire crews were called to a property in Tower Gardens, off Moira Road, in Ashby, shortly after 4pm on Tuesday, September 19. The fire was caused by a faulty dishwasher.

The woman, who was in her eighties, had to be treated for smoke inhalation at the scene, but did not need to go to hospital.

A spokesman for Leicestershire Fire and Rescue Service said: "Three crews were sent to the incident where they found a fire in the kitchen of a semi-detached property.

Fire at the back of Bella Italia restaurant in Burton

"A woman in her eighties had been rescued by a neighbour prior to our arrival and was treated at the scene for smoke inhalation by paramedics."

They put out the fire and opened windows and doors to ventilate the house.

The spokesman said: "The casualty was assessed at the scene and did not require hospital treatment.

"The British Red Cross support unit was called out to offer her comfort and support."

She added: "The cause of the fire is believed to be a faulty dishwasher."

"The kitchen was badly damaged by smoke and fire."

The fire was dealt with by 4.30pm. A Red Cross help was sent to the scene to help the woman and was still there at 8.30pm.