Login Register

Four pupils expelled after violent attack at Swadlincote school

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: February 18, 2014

Comments (0)

FOUR pupils have been excluded from a South Derbyshire school after they are alleged to have knocked a classmate unconscious.

Senior teachers at the Pingle School, in Coronation Street, Swadlincote, said they were left ‘shocked and saddened’ by the attack and made the move to remove those responsible in a bid to keep pupils safe in future.

The injured youngster, whose name and age cannot be disclosed due to the Data Protection Act, was diagnosed with concussion and is now believed to be on the way to making a full recovery.

Acting head teacher Vivien Sharples said: “The school community is recovering after an incident of a physical attack on another student that resulted in a pupil being knocked unconscious and taken to hospital.

“The police were immediately informed of what had happened.

“Pupils, staff and governors were shocked and saddened by the events.

“We have a duty to keep all of our pupils safe at school.

“The pupils involved were immediately excluded and will not be returning to The Pingle School.

“We want to put this event behind us when we return after the half term break.

“The next few weeks will be crucial in terms of preparing students for public examinations and supporting students through this crucial time must be our focus.”

The school confirmed to the Mail that the injury suffered was concussion and the male pupil involved was now set to make a ‘full recovery’ and expected to return to lessons after half term.

The boy’s mother said: “I have thanked the school for the prompt and strong action taken”.

Derbyshire Police revealed that officers had been made aware of the incident.

A spokesman said: “We were notified by the ambulance service of a suspected assault that had taken place at the Pingle School. Our report showed that a young man had been knocked to the ground and had started fitting before being transported to hospital.

“However, we can confirm that we are not involved in an investigation at this time. The school has duty of care over the people involved and they have the power to act within the policies that they have in place.

“It seems, in this instance, that all parties have agreed that this is the correct way to deal with the situation.”

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES