Login Register

Last push to raise war memorial cash

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: February 26, 2014

Couple researching the names on a war memorial, Tutbury

Jane and Rick Nuth

Couple researching the names on a war memorial, Tutbury Jane and Rick Nuth

Comments (0)

THE total cost of restoring a war memorial at the heart of an East Staffordshire village is expected to be more than £30,000.

Members of the Tutbury War Memorials Preservation Committee (TWMPC) revealed the figure as it begins to make a final push towards raising the cash ahead of a 2015 deadline to complete the refurbishment.

The group is working to preserve the deteriorating stone cross war memorial in St Mary’s churchyard so that it will continue as a ‘memorial to the fallen’ for at least another 100 years.

Committee chairman Rick Nuth said: “The memorial has a slight lean and it is known that there were once graves where the memorial now stands. This means that it is necessary to have a professional assessment of its condition by an accredited conservation architect and a structural engineer.

“This will be in two parts, and phase one will be a review that will cost £4,000.

“We have applied for two grants to fund this phase and we hope to have the review completed by mid-2014.

“The work needed for phase two will not be known until the completion of phase one, but it will range between a cleaning, repointing andsmall repair task and a dismantling, underpinning and rebuilding task.

“Any work required will be agreed with the church authorities, English Heritage and the borough council’s planning department – the current estimated cost range is between £5,000 and £30,000.

“The work is targeted to complete in 2015.

“We hope that the War Memorials Trust will provide up to 75 per cent of this cost, with the committee looking to other sources for the remaining 25 per cent (between £1,000 and £8,000, or between 33p and £2.67 per Tutbury resident).”

The memorial was built in 1920 by the post-First World War memorial committee and was funded by public subscription.

After the memorial was dedicated by the Bishop of Stafford, St Mary’s Parochial Church Council took on the responsibility for its ongoing care in 1920.

More information is available by emailing info@twmpc.org.uk, calling 01283 810166 or visiting www.twmpc.org.uk

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters

YOUR COMMENTS AWAITING MODERATION

 
 
 

MORE NEWS HEADLINES