Login Register

Full recovery for boy after metal spike fall

By Burton Mail  |  Posted: December 04, 2012

Leon Stone adn mum Jayne

Comments (0)

A YOUNGSTER who cheated death in a freak accident has made a full recovery six months on and is now looking forward to spending Christmas with his family.

Leon Stone suffered a potentially lifethreatening injury after he attempted to climb a 7ft fence at Heath Road Community Park, in Stapenhill, in June.

The 11-year-old, who started secondary school in September, slipped and suffered a severe three-inch puncture wound to his chest.

Doctors, nurses and surgeons were stunned to discover that the metal spike had hit his sternum.

If it had gone directly into his chest cavity, just centimetres lower, medical experts believe it would have killed him almost instantly.

The youngster, who lives in Stapenhill, was airlifted to Birmingham Children’s Hospital, where he received specialist trauma care.

His mum, Jayne Stone, said luckily Leon had made a full recovery and was now back to his old self again.

She told the Mail: “Leon is doing okay now, but he still doesn’t go out as much, and he certainly doesn’t climb up anything.

“He is quite nervous around fences but he’s bound to be after what happened.

“The wound has healed ok but it has left quite a big scar which I don’t like looking at as it brings back bad memories.”

Leon had to have emergency surgery to check for any internal damage and to remove dirt from the wound.

During the lengthy operation he had tubes fitted to drain fluids from his chest.

Ms Stone, a mother of three, added: “When I think back to it, I still can’t quite believe it happened.

“I’m pleased everything has gone back to normal and we’re all all right.

“Leon is doing well in himself and has started Paulet High School now.

“We are looking forward to spending Christmas together and starting a new year.”

Read more from Burton Mail

Do you have something to say? Leave your comment here...

max 4000 characters