FOLLOWING the success of an operation to tackle a rise in oil thefts, Leicestershire Police has issued some advice to people who store heating fuel.
• Fit an electronic oil gauge/tank alarm which will alert people if the oil level drops;
• Use fencing or shrubs to hide their tanks from view;
• Consider installing CCTV cameras;
• Fit a strong lock to the tank;
• If their tank is in an outbuilding keep the building locked;
• Install dusk to dawn security lighting;
• Turn off switches that control the supply of oil when not in use;
• Make a note of the registration number of suspicious vehicles especially tankers or large vehicles close to their property;
• Keep an eye on neighbour’s tank as well.