A DRIVER who told a court he was having a panic attack when caught using his mobile phone at the wheel later boasted on social media: “I was just trying to get out of it”.
Nathan McKenzie, from Rolleston, made the claim on Facebook just hours after he was handed a six month driving ban following a hearing at Burton Magistrates’ Court.
The 24-year-old had told the court he used the phone because he suffered from anxiety and was having an attack.
During the case, McKenzie pleaded with magistrates to give him one last chance, insisting the future of his property management business, which he set up last year, hinged on him being able to drive.
However, he later gave a different version when he went on to the Burton upon Trent official page on Facebook after people started commenting on his sentence.
He posted: “I haven’t learned the hard way at all, I honestly couldn’t care less.
“I was on the phone because I wanted to be not because of a panic attack. Ha ha. Don’t believe everything you read. I tried to get out of it. Didn’t work.”
However, Mr McKenzie’s tune changed when the Mail got in touch to clarify his remarks.
He said: “What I say on an oath is truth. What I say in person could be true or it could be false who knows.
“I was on it for my own reasons as I’ve stated and I’m doing my ban. Easy. I’m not bothered I’ve lost my licence because why dwell on it.?
“It’s my business if I want to go on the phone while I’m driving. I made a bed, I’ll lie in it. I 100 per cent tell the truth on oath so take from that what you will.”
He said in court he had only been using his mobile phone in Stafford on January 27 to call his mum as he was suffering a panic attack, which he said he was prone to. McKenzie, who pleaded guilty to driving while using a mobile phone, was also fined £100 and told to pay £145 in costs.