Improvement work to a historic East Staffordshire church has received a £10,000 boost from digger giant JCB.
A new extension is being added to St Lawrence Church in Bramshall which will provide hospitality facilities – including a kitchen and toilet. The total project will cost around £70,000.
Over the last few months, parishioners have carried out a series of fund-raising activities and they have contacted businesses in the area to help raise funds for the project.
The money JCB has donated will be used specifically to fund external upgrade work, which will feature Hollington stone so it remains in keeping with the existing church structure.
The Rev John Lander, vicar of St Lawrence's Church, said: "We are overwhelmed with JCB's generosity. It is so lovely to see them supporting the communities that are local to their factories in Staffordshire in this way.
"The facility is much needed to help make the church more welcoming to visitors – for instance, people currently have to pop over to the village hall if they wish to use the restroom.
"The cost is expensive, particularly as we want to ensure the new structure is in keeping with the church stonework. We have raised some of the money through our own fund-raising and other local businesses have helped out too – but this sum from JCB really is the icing on the cake. It has given us a lot of encouragement and optimism as we aim to reach our target."
According to records, a parish church in Bramshall dates back to the early 13th century. The current church building was constructed in 1835 – two years before Queen Victoria came to the throne.
Anyone wanting to help with the remaining fund-raising is asked to call Reverend Lander on 01889 565228 or church treasurer Glenda Lovatt on 01889 564452.