Derbyshire Fire and Rescue has issued a cooking fire safety warning after a spate of kitchen fires over a five day period.
During the week of 7-11 August, firefighters across the county attended five separate kitchen fires, sparking concerns regarding general kitchen fire safety.
Included in the five blazes attended, fire officials were called to an incident on August 9 in Clayfield Road, Repton, after an oven had been left unattended. Thankfully, neighbours were able to quickly call the fire service due to smoke alarms alerting them to the danger. Nobody sustained injuries in any of the attended incidents.
According to the service, over 50 per cent of all accidental house fires start in the kitchen, therefore it is extremely important to take extra care when cooking food. Being aware of the risks associated with becoming distracted whilst cooking can also help you and your family keep safe from a fire.
In response to the incidents, Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service have reiterated the following safety advice and information relating to kitchen fire safety:
- Never leave cooking unattended.
- DON'T cook if you feel tired or fatigued.
- DON'T cook after drinking alcohol - if hungry, grab a takeaway. Double check to make sure your cooker is turned off after using it.
- Keep the oven, hob and grill clean and in working order. A build-up of fat and grease can cause a fire to spread and make it more severe.
- Ensure smoke alarms are fitted on every level of your home.
- Test your smoke alarms weekly - only working smoke alarms can give you vital early warnings of a fire.
- Have a pre-planned and practiced escape plan that everyone in the home is familiar with.
- In the event of a fire, get out, stay out and call 999.
Prevention and Inclusion Group Manager, Steve Ratcliffe said: "Since Monday, we have attended five separate house fires where the fire started in the kitchen.
"With this in mind, I urge everyone to take a moment to familiarise themselves with our kitchen fire safety advice, which can prevent accidental fires from occuring and help protect families from the devastating consequences of a house fire."