When asbestos came into use during the Industrial Age, it was being used everywhere. The manufacturing and mining of it went through the roof in the early 1900s thanks to its flame retardant feature and the amount of it available for the number of constructions at the time.
Over the years many cases have emerged of people dying after being exposed many years earlier to asbestos dust through their jobs, whether that be in a garage or factory.
The result of that exposure is often death much later on from a condition called mesothelioma.
In the case of Susan Macgregor, she contracted the illness in her childhood from hugging her pipe-fitter dad when he was wearing his dusty work overalls.
Susan’s devastated husband Dave is highlighting her case as part of Action Mesothelioma Day. Let’s hope his family’s sad experience helps once more to raise awareness of asbestos safety and prevent more deaths in the future.