Hundreds of unsafe gas appliances have been found in homes in Burton and Swadlincote area, a new report has revealed.

According to the Gas Safe Register, previously known as CORGI, there were 917 unsafe appliances, such as cookers and gas fires, found at homes in the area, potentially putting residents at risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

The Gas Map shows gas risks across the country based on inspections by Gas Safe Register, National Grid and other utility services.

The report also showed that families were more likely to fit a smoke alarm, double glazing or window lows than have a carbon monoxide alarm.

An electrician fits a detector

A Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: "Having working smoke alarms and carbon monoxide alarms in your property is so important as they alert you to signs of fire as early as possible.

"Those without these alarms may not know there is a fire or a cause for concern until there is significant risk to life. In many cases when someone dies as a result of a fire, it is the smoke or carbon monoxide poisoning which has killed them before the fire service is even called.

"This emphasises just how important it is to ensure you have working smoke and carbon monoxide alarms fitted in your property."

Poisonings by carbon monoxide, the odourless and colourless gas, named the silent killer, causes around 50 deaths a year in the UK.

Research obtained by awareness campaign group Project SHOUT shows that more than 500 UK cases involving under 18s were reported last year.

The charity says the figures, gathered from a Freedom of Information request, show a dramatic increase in the number of cases since 2015.

The worst-affected areas for children were London and the East Midlands, where there was a 29 per cent increase and the West Midlands, which saw a 58 per cent increase.

Carbon monoxide is produced by the incomplete burning of carbon-containing fuels, such as coal, oil, charcoal, wood, kerosene, natural gas and propane.

Sources of carbon monoxide in the home environment can include fuel-burning devices such as: boilers, furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces, charcoal grills, gas and wood stoves and clothes dryers.

Ways to prevent carbon monoxide poisoning at home

Ensure all fuel-burning appliances are inspected by a trained professional each year

Purchase carbon monoxide detectors for your home and get them professionally fitted and regularly tested.

Ensure that any new fuel-burning appliances are professional installed, properly vented and regularly services according to manufacturer's instructions.

Looking for a job? There are thousands available at